Saturday, February 26, 2011

Weekly Bird in the hand

This week's bird in the hand - the things I am grateful for - is short!  One item only - and fresh on the palate.

Photo by Robbie1

This week I am grateful for:
I just made puff pastry with their new mix for the first time. It was quite a lot of work with combining the butter etc, and putting it in the freezer for 15 minutes after every two rollings...for a total of 6 rollings.  But if you make your own regular puff pastry, you have to do all that too - although if I recall you don't have to "freeze" it so often.

From the pastry, I made a steak and onion pie and wow! It was yummy!  I haven't had flaky/puff pastry for over 6 years as I've never known a way to make it gluten free. I just assumed I'd never eat it again.  But it worked! It was crisp, and crunchy, and tasty and you'd never have guessed it was gluten free.  Even John liked it!!

I ate dinner before taking a photo of the pie - but half is left for tomorrow - so here is my half-eaten gluten free puff pastry steak and onion pie!


If you need to eat gluten free - and don't mind spending a bit of time baking - give this pastry a go.  There is enough to make two pies, so I've frozen half of it already rolled out, so next time it will be quick and easy! :=D

3 comments:

vilterietje said...

it looks very tasteful! geass you enjoyed it:)

Patty Biermans said...

I don't know what it is to have strickt diet but i'm glad that there are so many solutions these days for people with a gluten diet. Enjoy your nice pie!! Hugzz...Peebee

Ruth said...

We did enjoy it! Every year more and more options appear for gluten free year, so it is much easier than when I was first diagnosed. And I've always loved cooking and baking, so that's useful!!